Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Best Cigar is the one YOU like best!

I would like to take a moment to address a common criticism in reaction to reviews. A reaction often expressed in such a way as, “What are you talking about? There are no notes of leather in that cigar! You have no taste!”

The simple fact is everyone’s palate is different. Everyone is going to have a different reaction to the same cigar. But this does not make someone who experiences different flavor notes than you incorrect. A cigar that one person may consider spicy, may be mild to you or vice versa. I believe that is the beauty of the cigar experience. The countless combinations of wrappers, binders and fillers create a unique taste for each individual.

This is not linked solely to cigars. Everyone has a different taste in foods, drinks and scents but somehow in this industry I have seen more snobbery in differences of opinion than anywhere else. Instead of engaging in a conversation about separate experience, I have seen, on countless occasions, heated arguments full of disrespectful accusations about another’s taste buds or lack thereof.

I would like to enter this disclaimer: My reviews are based solely on my own personal experience, my own palate. I do not however, make any claim to be the superior palate. I would love to hear any comments or opinions on my reviews. Please feel free to suggest cigars you would like to see me review as well.

Finally, I ask just one thing, please be respectful, not just of me but of others you may come across. Their opinion about a cigar may be different from yours, but it is just as valid.

Simply Christine

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It's true, no matter how expensive or well-reviewed a cigar is, what it comes down to is that YOU enjoy it. Who cares what everyone else thinks?

    Jason

    ReplyDelete